Monday 4 January 2016

GBS

This post isn't about allergies but about something that is very very close to my heart. When I was pregnant I found out completely accidentally I had Group B strep so all the way through I could plan with doctors about the birth, I wanted a water birth but unfortunately you can't as you have to have a antibiotic drip while in labour. Amber was a very very fast birth and the antibiotics were unable to get passed through to her quick enough so when she was born she wasn't breathing properly. She was taking to the special care baby unit and we spent 7 days in hospital as she needed antibiotics day and night. She grew stronger and I was called down to SCBU whenever she needed fed then after a few days she could come up to the ward with us and we took her down when she needed the antibiotics. It was a very stressful week I won't lie I couldn't sleep as so much was going on on the ward I was constantly being monitored aswel as Amber but all the staff were absolutely amazing! GBS is so common in a massive amount of women yet no one gets tested for it and lots of babies lose their lives! Amber is 1 now and you would never know how poorly she was! I hope people will see this and have a look on the website there is a petition to sign for the NHS to routinely check for GBS because there's so many babies who aren't as lucky as our Amber. http://gbss.org.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment